2019 Event Funding and Date Application
The Town of Avon welcomes applications from individuals, businesses, organizations and agencies who are interested in producing one or more special event(s) in the Town of Avon. In early 2017, the Avon Town Council established the first ever Ad Hoc Special Events Committee (AHSEC) and charged the appointed members with weighing in on the direction of future events in the Town. One of the primary responsibilities of the Committee is to solicit proposals from interested special event producers and to evaluate the proposals, making recommendations to the Town Council for venue dates and any funding or in-kind Town support. With the AHSEC reinstated by the Town Council earlier this year, 2018 will be the second year that Avon is soliciting applications from producers in a coordinated process, thereby allowing the Town a comprehensive, pro-active and comparative approach in reviewing and approving 2019 special events.
Special event producers, who have been granted event permits or agreements in 2018 or in past years, for any of the Town’s venues, are welcome to apply, as are new special event producers. Producers may apply for:
- Venue dates only and no funding and/or in-kind support; or
- Venue dates with funding and/or in-kind support
Avon’s most prominent venue is the outdoor Avon Performance Pavilion and Nottingham Park’s adjacent open field, which can comfortably seat, with vendors, 5,000 persons. Two open fields in Nottingham Park can support competitive sports play or serve as a terminus for athletic events. Avon Lake, in Nottingham Park, is open in the summer for small craft sailing, swimming and stand-up paddle boarding. With its adjacent beach and volleyball courts, the lake is a complementary amenity to the fields and Pavilion. In the winter, ice slabs are constructed for hockey and free skating. Possibility Plaza, with capacity for 1,200 persons standing, is a smaller outdoor venue located in the business core. The Town makes its venues available for the nominal charge of $1.00 per day. A producer must be prepared to provide for all production costs of a special event, including but not limited to sound, lighting, security, insurance, damage deposits, sanitation, etc. Production requirements can vary by the size of the event.
For fiscal year 2018, the Town Council approved special event venue dates, special event funding of $500,000, and provided in-kind service support benefiting approximately twenty-nine events. Town assets, which include, but are not limited to tents, chairs, tables, signage, and electrical supplies may be borrowed from the Town, to help defray production costs.
The AHSEC is encouraging producers to consider bringing an array of events to Avon in 2019, at one or more of the Town’s venues, throughout the year. Of special interest to the AHSEC are the following types of events, however, applicants should feel welcome to apply for other special event programs:
- Colorado and national multi-day sport tournaments/competitions, including but not limited to soccer, lacrosse, stand up paddle boarding, and bike races
- A producer for the four-evening Avon LIVE! free concerts each Wednesday in July
- Two or three-day music/art/culinary festivals, that feature music such as an all acoustical program, bluegrass/roots, reggae, rock, blues, soul, etc.
- Interactive arts festival or fair
- Beer festival
- Winter sports and/or winter activity festival
- Film festival
- Car show
- Lecture series
APPLICATION AND REFERENCE MATERIALS:
- 2019 Event Funding and Date Application: The 2019 Application is an Excel document and must be used as your application form. A link to the 2019 Event Funding and Date Application is available here.
- The 2019 Event Funding and Date Application references several Attachments to assist applicants. Links to the various Attachments are listed here:
- Please submit the application electronically as detailed in the application to email@example.com
- Submittals will be accepted at any time up to and prior to July 27, 2018, at 5:00 p.m.
- Applications submitted after July 27, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. will not be accepted
- Questions about the 2019 Event Funding and Date Application may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 20, 2018, 5:00 p.m. Please no calls. Answers to all questions received will be posted on the Town of Avon website on July 23, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.
- Tours of the venues may be scheduled by emailing email@example.com with requested day(s) and time(s). The Town reserves the right to include one or more interested applicant in any scheduled tour.
APPLICATION REVIEW & RECOMMENDATION SCHEDULE:
- June 11, 2018: 2018 Town of Avon Special Event Application Released
- July 27, 2018: Deadline for Applications
- August 7, 2018: Applicant Interviews
- Applicant representative must be present in Avon or available via Skype
- Early September 2019 Notification of Awards
- October 9, 2018: Committee Funding Recommendations Presented to Town Council as part of the General Fund Budget Work Session
- October 23, 2018: Town Council: Public Hearing: Adoption of 2018 General Fund Budget